Parents Of Dead Pupil Demand Closure Of Abuja School

Wike Appoints Chiefs For Karu, Kwali, Yaba Communities

The parents of a four-year-old pupil of BrickHall Schools at Cadastral Zone B11, Kaura District, in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Abuja, Miguel Ovoke, are calling on the FCT Educational Authority to shut down the school, following the result of autopsy alleging that their child died of electrocution and not choking as reported.

LEADERSHIP gathered that the parents, in company of some angry youths, stormed the school premises to protest against the death of the boy, since the autopsy had revealed that the boy died from electrocution and not choked to death while eating, as alleged by the school authorities.

According to the information, some joint security personnel, in an attempt to prevent the protesters from causing damage and taking laws into their hands in the school premises, started shooting into the air.

One of the protesters, who preferred anonymity, said the police were among the security personnel using tear gas to disperse angry parents and other protesters.

She alleged that the security personnel also threatened to shoot the protesters if they refused to leave the school premises.

It can be recalled that tragedy had struck in the school in April, when the four-year-old pupil died during the school’s feeding hours, and the parents of the boy had said that they suspected foul play in the death of their son.

According to the death certificate dated April 24, 2024, issued by Excel Specialist Hospital, Abuja, Ovoke was brought to the hospital by his teachers around 11am in an unconscious state.

The medical report, signed by one Dr Akinwande Ajayi, on behalf of the medical director, indicated that he was brought in on account of choking while feeding at school.

His peripheral pulses, according to the report, was “impalpable, blood pressure was unrecordable, and there was no cardiopulmonary activity or respiratory excursions, silent chest.”

The report indicated that all efforts of the medical team to resuscitate him failed, concluding that he was ‘Brought in Dead.’

Suspecting foul play, the parents of the deceased contacted an Abuja-based lawyer, Deji Adeyanju, to handle the case on their behalf.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.